Congregation Contribution/Synod Remittance Form
Annual Meeting Resources
Annual Meetings in a Pandemic Conversation(from 12/8/20)
Considerations for remote meetings from Churchwide
Council Training Videos (from 2/28/21)
Stewardship & Sustainability: "Dollars and Sense" for your Congregation's Mission
Easy Ditches and How to Avoid Them: The Road to Faithful and Healthy Council Leadership
True Confessions of a Former Council President: What I Wish I Had Known From Day One
Risk Management Documents
- PPT from Synod Attorney
- Financial Best Practices
- Model Constitution
- Copyright Considerations Webinar (9/10/20)
Council Training Documents
- Giving Thought to a Narrative Budget
- Guidelines for Congregations: Internal Control Best Practices
- Guide for Use of the Model Constitution for Congregations
- Handling Financial Matters in the Congregation
- IRS Requirement for Churches
- Model Constitution for Congregations of the ELCA (2019)
- Recommendations for Congregation Secretaries
- Records Retention Schedule for Congregations of the ELCA
- 2023 Compensation and Benefits Guidelines
- Resource 5G: Definition of Compensation, Benefits and Responsibilities Forms
- Resource 5H: Steps for Completion of Compensation, Benefits and Responsibilities Forms
Discernment, Visioning, & Holy Closure
- Toward Vital & Vibrant Ministry (Congregational Discernment Guide)
- A Guide to Holy Closure
The Resources for Congregational Treasurers and Bookkeepers document is very helpful and covers many topics including:
- Responsibilities of a Treasurer
- Cash Handling Suggestion
- Audit Procedure
- Records Management
- W-2 Help / Payroll Tax Obligations
- ELCA downloadable Financial Resources
ELCA Portico Benefit Services:
Portico has an EmployerLink for Treasurers & Benefits Administrators which includes useful information for rates, forms, calculators, and instructions for the ELCA's pensions and health plan. A printable format and worksheet for manually determining insurance costs are available with the Compensation and Benefits Guidelines found below.
A ministry review is a time for reflecting together on current realities as well as look at energy and opportunities for mission and ministry. It is a chance to be the church together and mutually discern next steps.
Discerning the Future Gathering
Similar to a regular Ministry Review, a Discerning the Future Gathering is scheduled across an entire weekend to create space for deep listening, learning together, and time to build relationships. This tool is for ministries who are needing to deeply discern their future.
Discerning the Future Gathering
Have questions? Contact Deacon Erin Power, DEM - firstname.lastname@example.org
"I was a part of the Ministry Review of Augustana in Grand Forks. The Ministry Review Process was a very positive experience. It opened our eyes to the many needs of the community immediately around us and provided us with numerous new ways we can serve it. I'm excited by the many opportunities in front of us as we work towards calling our next pastor."
To report any congregational updates, please complete the form or contact the Synod Office.
Paul Daniels serves as the head archivist for ELCA Region 3 archives at Luther Seminary.
Paul has put together a series of documents that can help when pondering what your congregation should save and what to discard. They are available on the Luther Seminary website under