2020 Bishops Election Materials
Risk Management Documents
Council Training Videos
- Jakelle - "Nuts and Bolts"
- Shar - "Role of the Council" & "Healthy Congregations"
- Bishop Terry, Mytch & Keith - "The Changing Church"
- Training Slides
Council Training Documents
- Giving Thought to a Narrative Budget
- Guidelines for Congregations: Internal Control Best Practices
- Guide for Use of the Model Constitution for Congregations
- Handling Financial Matters in the Congregation
- IRS Requirement for Churches
- Model Constitution for Congregations of the ELCA (2016)
- Recommendations for Congregation Secretaries
- Records Retention Schedule for Congregations of the ELCA
- 2019 Compensation and Benefits Guidelines
- Definition of Compensation, Benefits and Responsibilities of the pastor
- Steps for completion of Compensation, Benefits and Responsibilities of the pastor
The Resources for Congregational Treasurers and Bookkeepers document is very helpful and covers many topics including:
- Responsiblities of a Treasurer
- Cash Handling Suggestion
- Audit Procedure
- Records Management
- W-2 Help / Payroll Tax Obligations
- ELCA downloadable Financial Resources
Portico has an EmployerLink for Treasurers & Benefits Administrators which includes useful information for rates, forms, calculators, and instructions for the ELCA's pensions and health plan. A printable format and worksheet for manually determining insurance costs are available with the Compensation and Benefits Guidelines found below.
For the 2018 Synod Assembly, congregations were asked to share their creative ideas for the chance to win $1000! Congratulations to Augustana Lutheran of Grand Forks for their award-wining idea and thanks to all who participated.
Hunger Event Items:
These videos are from the "YOU Give Them Something To Eat" hunger awareness event held November 2018 in Grand Forks
To report any congregational updates, please complete the form or contact Synod Ministry Coordinator Alia Bartell
Ministry Review: A time for a synod ministry review team to work with a congregational review team in order to reflect on and assess the strengths, needs, and direction of a congregation and its ministry. The review will include a report that will affirm the God-given gifts and strengths of the congregation and provide recommendations to consider for future ministry.
Have questions? Contact Pastor Jessica Daum, DEM - firstname.lastname@example.org
"I was a part of the Ministry Review of Augustana in Grand Forks. The Ministry Review Process was a very positive experience. It opened our eyes to the many needs of the community immediately around us and provided us with numerous new ways we can serve it. I'm excited by the many opportunities in front of us as we work towards calling our next pastor."
What is a Mission Interpreter?
A mission interpreter is a follower of Jesus Christ whom God calls and equips to draw attention to what God is doing in the world and in the church. A mission interpreter expresses gratitude, tells what is happening, and invites participation in God’s mission.
READY BENCH FOR EVANGELISM
- Evangelism is a Way of Life
- In Praise of Service
- The Invitational Christian
- Four Aspects of Public Faith Essential to Evangelism
Paul Daniels serves as the head archivist for ELCA Region 3 archives at Luther Seminary.
Paul has put together the following documents that can help when pondering what your congregation should save and what to discard: