From Rev. Keith Zeh
Cultivating Vitality in Multipoint Parishes was an equipping and energizing experience held January 16 at Climax Lutheran Church. Over 70 pastoral and lay leaders from both synods, representing 22 parishes and involving 62 congregations, participated in this catalytic event. Encore events (one in each synod in the southern region) are planned for later this year. A sampling of resources for that day, is available below. For more information about Cultivating Vitality for Multipoint Parishes, contact Rev. Keith Zeh at the synod office at (701) 232-3381 or email@example.com
Twenty-three men from seven congregations attended a Building Men for Christ training event for congregational leaders January 22-23 at Hope Lutheran Church in Fargo. This event, facilitated by the ELCA’s Lutheran Men in Mission in partnership with both synods, expressed a compelling vision of every man having a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ.
Insights shared included data about men’s involvement in the life of the church and the profound effect their faith has in the lives of their children.
- The ratio of men to women in mainline congregations was 48% in 1952 compared to less than 38% today.
- Each week more than 5 million wives worship without their husbands. Most males begin to disengage from the church as early as 9 years of age.
- When both father and mother are actively engaged in their faith, the children are more likely to become people of faith.
- Men ages 18-34 are the most un-churched group in America. Congregations with a higher percentage of men involved tend to be faster growing, stronger in stewardship and have more children and youth involved.
Among the positive outcomes resulting from this significant event was the “setting in motion” the formation of a joint-synod Building Men for Christ task force or team. On Friday, March 5, 2010 men from both synods will meet to follow up the January Building Men for Christ event. We will meet from 11:30 am – 1:30 pm in the conference room at the Northwestern Minnesota Synod office, 310 14th Ave So, Moorhead, MN. Lunch will be provided. If you are interested in participating, contact Rev. Keith Zeh at (701) 232-3381 or (218) 299-4447.
Multipoint Parishes Resources:
- What Makes Multipoint Parishes Work? (download pdf file)
- What is a Multipoint Parish? (download pdf file)/a>
- Multipoint Parishes Table Talk (download pdf file)
- Multipoint Parishes Suggested Reading List (download pdf file)
- Forming Multipoint Parishes (download pdf file)
- Attitudes, Beliefs, & Behavior Patterns of Missional STaR Congregations
PowerPoint Presentation (download PowerPoint file) | PDF (download pdf file)